[Translators-l] [Foundation-l] fundraising: call for help (URGENT)

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 19:13:25 UTC 2006

2006/12/14, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com>:

> If you are willing to help, both the current ones and the translation
> & updating in future, please list your name on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Request_for_an_account_on_the_Foundation_wiki.
> Board a/o Comcom folks (precisely Mike Snow or me) will be consider your offers.

On that page, it says
"To ensure that users are already familiar with the policies of at
least one Wikimedia project, only administrators or foundation
committee members may apply for an account."

I am not an administrator. I was an admin at Swedish Wikipedia, but
stepped down over an affair where we were a bunch of people who wanted
to see one of our bureaucrats desysopped. Nobody asked me to step
down. I do however not plan to apply for adminship on Swedish
Wikipedia again. So, either you make en exception for me regarding
editing rights on wikimediafoundation.org, or we create another way of
making this doable.

I am not sure if anyone feels xe has the right to decide on such an
exception - of course we could limit it to short time. To my
knowledge, I was the only one from Swedish Wikipedia or the Swedish
speaking projects at all to visit Wikimania this summer. I wrote a
summary of it in Swedish, here
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anv%C3%A4ndare:Habj/Wikimania_2006
I was one of the major driving forces behind things like identifying
and labelling guideline pages and also creating new ones, and
generally increase the activity in the Wikipedia namespace outside of
the Village Pump and the Articles for Deletion, and this was one of my
main reasons to remain non-admin: I wanted to show that you did not
have to be an admin to edit and create pages in the Wikipedia
namespace. I also was one of the active people in the first rounds of
work for getting us an equivalent of an arbitration committée - not in
the last round of the work though. All the people who have been around
at Swedish Wikipedia for more than six months know this. You could
find some people to ask if I know as much or more about Wikimedia
project policies and guidelines as the average administrator, or you
could ask Jon Harald Søby from the Norwegian projects who I am. He is
a stewart and as he understand Swedish, although he does not write it,
I think he knows fairly well who I am in relation to Swedish
Wikipedia.

Another way is to just give me the code to the page in question - I
can work someplace else and then someone just paste it to the
wikimediafoundation.org website. You see, not having editing rights on
wikimediafoundation.org does not mean you get the tab "view source",
like on pages that are locked for editing. It means I have no access
to the code of the page, and have no possibility to add the text in
the correct templates etc.

The third way is, I just translate the text and we kindly ask Jon
Harald Søby, who understands Swedish well enough to see which parts of
the text is what, to put it in the right form with html and templates
and God knows what.

> If it is not too complicated, please consider to import or copy &
> paste required materials on meta and set a platform on a page .. so
> perhaps TR/WMF/Fundraising form 2006 ?

That is in line with my second suggestion.

/habj