[Mediawiki-i18n] Advice on migrating and renaming translation keys

Jon Robson jrobson at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 20 19:33:15 UTC 2017

MinervaNeue contains various message keys prefixed with mobile-frontend-
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-MinervaNeue/blob/master/i18n/en.json

I'd like to move away from this as it's confusing.

Nemo pointed out that when Cologne Blue was moved out of core no messages
were renamed.. but then none of those were prefixed.

My concern is that leaving these message keys in Minerva adds confusion and
inconsistency for developers and translators about where the messages are
used and sourced from. It also means that new developers are likely to
prefix new message keys with mobile-frontend- and that will lead to
unnecessary review.

My preference would be to take the short term pain of renaming all message
keys from `mobile-frontend-` to `minerva-` for the long term happiness.

Is there any strong reason not to do this?

--
Jon Robson
Senior Software Engineer