[Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] Multilingual maps: how to pick each feature language?

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:48:04 UTC 2017

Siebrand Mazeland, 10/02/2017 08:48:
>     TLDR: if browsing a map for French wiki, and a city only has a
>     Russian and
>     Chinese name, which one should be shown? Should the city name have
>     different rules from a store or a street name? ...

Hard questions, but let me remind that CLDR has data on the script and
usage level of languages:
<http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/supplemental/language_territory_information.html>
(used by us mostly for
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ULS/FAQ#language-territory> ).

So in your example, if I were visiting the French article from RĂ©union,
and CLDR said that Chinese is spoken there ten times as much as Russian
(I'm inventing), this would be a factor to consider.

Nemo