[Mediawiki-i18n] Italics for Macedonian wiki

Bojan Jankuloski bojan.jankuloski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 17:32:43 UTC 2016

I writing to you by recoomendation of Andre Klapper
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:AKlapper_(WMF)> about the issue, and
he said that I should ask The Language Engineering team about the issue I
wrote about.

I am writing as a bureaucrat of mk.wiki on the suggestion of other active
editors and admins who feel that there is one issue that needs addressing
on our wiki.
Namely, that is the italics, whenever we use them. Unicode automatically
shows the East Slavic italics, where several letters are different than in
our own (and Serbian) alphabet. See the heading Differences from other
Cyrillic alphabets
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Cyrillic_alphabet#Differences_from_other_Cyrillic_alphabets>
in
the Serbian alphabet article (the image to the right shows the
differences.. The correct ones for Macedonian and Serbian are i in the
rightmost, yellow column). Same applies to Macedonian, i.e. it is the same
letters that are different. In the text further near the end of the
section, it mentions OpenType and things I don't udnerstand.

Our question, as a wiki-community is: is it possible to have something done
on our wiki (something to be installed) or elsewhere, so that we will get
the proper letters? I know that some free fonts support this, but I am not
sure which. I am sure the Serbians will also be interested to implement
this on their wiki (although their case is somewhat more complicated by the
fact they use dual script on all pages).

We, as a community, use different operating systems and browsers, but
everyone sees the Russian-Bulgarian italics, not the Macedonian/Serbian
ones.

Below I have a screenshot of a test I just made for each of the letters.
Here is again the table of differences
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Serbian_Cyrillic_Italic.svg>. The
ones we want are in the rightmost (yellow) column. We are asking if it is
possible for all italics to be displayed this way on the wiki. This will
need some special intervention (I assume) as currently we don't have them,
but the Russo-Bulgarian in stead. (See screenshot below)

This applies to every OS and browser, because it is a standard by Unicode
that hasn't been modified yet to introduce our letters, and so it is, by
definition, impossible for us to get Maced./Serb. italics without tweaks in
the wiki. Our question is: are those tweaks possible, so our italics will
look like that in the yellow column.

I hope there may be a solution for our community.

Thank you very much,

Bojan Jankuoski,
User: User Bjankuloski06 / Б. Јанкулоски
<https://mk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA:Bjankuloski06>

--

Бојан Јанкулоски I Bojan Jankuloski

Главен програмски раководител I Chief Program Manager
Споделено знаење I Shared Knowlege
тел. | tel. +38978 282 698