[Mediawiki-i18n] Notes on creating a RTL-accessible tool in MediaWiki

Leszek Manicki leszek.manicki at wikimedia.de
Wed Dec 14 14:48:43 UTC 2016

Hi all!

When developing the Revision Slider extension [1] earlier this year, we (at
Wikimedia Germany) have learned quite some things about making extensions
and gadgets accessible for RTL language users. We have just published the
write up [2] summarizing what we've discovered.
We hope people developing new and existing tools, and in general developers
sensitive to RTL accessibility issues will find these notes interesting
and/or helpful.

Please note that this write up is a summary of lessons learned in the case
of this particular extension. It was not meant to serve as a general and
extensive guidelines or manual on these topics (there already are docs on
Directionality Support on mediawiki.org [3] which I can only recommend).

Any comments are welcome!

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RevisionSlider
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RevisionSlider/
Developing_a_RTL-accessible_feature_in_MediaWiki_-_what_
we%27ve_learned_while_creating_the_RevisionSlider
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Directionality_support

Best,
--
Leszek Manicki
Software Developer

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.