[Mediawiki-i18n] Internationalizing project names

Erik Bernhardson ebernhardson at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 15 22:34:27 UTC 2015

Within search we are moving forward with cross-wiki searching.

This means if you go to de.wikipedia.org and search for
''Ревест-Сен-Мартен" we should show a message like:

No results found on the German Wikipedia

Showing results from the Russian Wikipedia

Except of course, it should be (beware machine translation):

Keine Ergebnisse auf dem deutschen Wikipedia gefunden
Zeige Ergebnis aus der russischen Wikipedia

So somehow, we have to map from a wiki id (ruwiki, enwiki, dewiki, etc) to
a localized (not for that wiki, for every other wiki in all languages)
version of that project name. How can we go about this?