[Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] [Wikimedia-l] ContentTranslation gets to 2000

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sat Jun 6 22:09:09 UTC 2015

If I understand the question correctly, it's a matter of support that we
should and can to our machine translation providers. Currently there's only
- Apertium, but there may be more in the future.

The Language engineering team members met Apertium developers in a machine
translation conference in Turkey recently. We discussed what will be the
most useful thing for them, and clearly it is the resolution of
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T95886 . This should happen very soon in
any case. Some other ideas are around
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91748 .

If I'm allowed to dream for a moment, then if we're working with a Free
Machine Translation provider, then we could send the MT engine developers
feedback about the translations continuously, so that they would release
new versions of the engine *daily* rather than every few months as it
happens with Apertium now. It's technically conceivable, but will require a
bit of engineering work from both sides.

And of course there's the elephant in the room, which is developing machine
translation for more languages than what Apertium and other engines support
today. It's a bit of a circular argument, but one of the best things to do
to that end is simply to translate a lot of articles manually, and provide
MT developers with parallel texts, the most important resource for MT
engine development - and this really goes back to the aforementioned
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T95886 .

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬