[Mediawiki-i18n] Fwd: How to edit translated pages

Seb35 seb35wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon May 5 08:45:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

03.05.2014 12:38:00 (CEST), Jeph Alapat kirjoitti:
> We want users to be able to create grants in the own language too. We
> were
> assuming we could edit the translated pages using the API but that does
> not
> seem the case. It isn't possible to manually edit the translated page
> either.

No, the Translate extension is thought to keep alignment between
languages, hence it is forbidden to change translated pages. Since your
script cannot add endorsement on translated pages, I suggest adding the
endorsements on a common page (e.g. "IEG name/Endorsements") and it will
also avoid changing a translatable page (translation admins will not like
continuously marking pages to be translated and I’m not sure it is needed
to translate the endorsements). On a common page, perhaps the multilingual
aspects can even be shown by adding endorsements:
* {{#language:fr}}: {{lang|fr|Fantastique IEG !}} ~~~~

Note: for the page language, there is
mw.config.get('wgPageContentLanguage')

> We are actually not looking for translation per se, we want users to be
> able to create pages in different languages in the Grants namespace.
>
> Eg: The user should be able to create
> IEG's<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG>in his/her language.
> There will be a template which will need translations
> (The skeleton for a grant), but from then on we wont be needing the
> ability
> to translate. The user should be able to go ahead & add content in his
> language.
>
> What would be the best way to achieve this in meta? Looking forward to
> your
> comments.

Apart from the bug pointed by Nemo is quickly resolved (I have some
doubts), perhaps you can add the new submissions on a temporary page (e.g.
"IEG name/Original proposal") and ask translators to translate from
language-to-English without the Translate extension.

If you don’t know the InputBox extension, you can be interested in it (or
its functionalities), particularly the preload and editintro parameters if
you want to preload a skeleton page to be filled, possibly even with
templates and/or in a specific language.

~ Seb35