[Mediawiki-i18n] Sorting json files

Jon Robson jdlrobson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 19:31:48 UTC 2014

Is there any benefit in maintaining a standard order?

The Python change works but it's a bit of a pain I had to resort to
that. It now means the messages in Flow will be arbitrarily ordered
(either new messages will get appended at the end or manually placed
somewhere in the middle)

Personally, I think alphabetical order forces you to name things
consistently if you want them to appear in the same part of the file.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Niklas Laxström
<niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So if I programmatically like in my script [1] I want to manipulate
>> the JSON, when re-writing it, I'm struggling to maintain the original
>> order.
>> I wonder if thus it would be useful to sort all our i18n messages in
>> alphabetical order.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6921699/can-i-get-json-to-load-into-an-ordereddict-in-python
> provides some tips which can help to avoid having dealing with this
> question in the first place.
>
> Some projects like VisualEditor sort their messages, but most don't.
>
>> How does translatewiki build the i18n files? Is this just a python problem?
>
> Arrays in PHP keep their order order.
>
> https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Translate/blob/master/ffs/JsonFFS.php#L108
>
>   -Niklas

Jon Robson