[Mediawiki-i18n] Length of messages in BetaFeatures

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 4 19:39:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <
smazeland at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Mark Holmquist <mtraceur at member.fsf.org>wrote:
>
>> I *want* there
>>
> to be long-form descriptions of these features. People are working on
>> them and want to "sell" them to users, and this is their chance. ...
>>

> ... People don't read. Really, they don't[1].

Indeed, except when you do want to know more. So offer more info: in a
tooltip, a link to more info, or an "expanded explanation".

The create account form tells you to enter a username, and some people (who
really want the username "Foo@☺ Admin") need a longer explanation. E3 tried
a tipsy pop-up but I think a label that expands to provide more info would
be a useful gadget in both places.

--
=S Page