[Mediawiki-i18n] Length of messages in BetaFeatures

Mark Holmquist mtraceur at member.fsf.org
Wed Sep 4 18:34:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:59:53PM +0200, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
> This is for the daring, intrepid early adopters who want to see every
> single experimental feature as it rolls out. Your account will
> automatically get the latest features when they come out. You can always
> come back to this page to disable the ones you decide not to use, but this
> will give you the most bleeding-edge experience on the site.
>
>  ... consider thinking some more. Does this say about the same, and conveys
> the same concept requiring less time of the user?
>
> [checkbox] Automatically use all experimental features.

This was your suggestion on the patchset, when it first surfaced, IIRC.
But I'm not sure that the explanations are both the same - your suggestion
gives the impression that the user would have every feature enabled by
this one, which isn't the case. *Future* features will all be enabled
by default, but existing ones will stay disabled if they were before.

In any case, I feel I may not have been terribly clear - I *want* there
to be long-form descriptions of these features. People are working on
them and want to "sell" them to users, and this is their chance. We have,
comparatively to old preference fields, a much larger amount of space to
use for descriptions of features, which (I believe) is part of what the
design team intended - see this screenshot[0] of the extension's tab, for
example.

I'll get in touch with them to see if I can push back on that part of it,
but if we end up with longer descriptions, what would your suggestion be?

[0] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BetaFeatures_2013-09-04.png

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia