[Mediawiki-i18n] Issue Displaying Language Names in Translatewiki Drop-down (was: Re: [p-c] Translating of CLDR)

Shervin Afshar shervinafshar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 20:24:23 UTC 2013

Reza,

+mediawiki-i18n mailing list.

I checked few of the languages and I believe most of them in the drop-down
list are available in CLDR 22.1 are already present in that list with
proper translations. Apparently, there is another issue with inheritance in
their use of CLDR. For example in that language drop-down in the page you
mentioned, "ug" (Uyghur) is properly translated as "اویغوری", but the
following choices "ug-arab" and "ug-latn" which specify if the language is
written in Arabic or Latin script, are not. In this case the parent locale
("ug") shouldn't be displayed at all (hence http://goo.gl/Koy3x) and the
name of the language and appropriate scripts (which exists in CLDR as well)
should be used for the script variants of the locale ("ug-arab" and
"ug-latn"). It might be an issue which raise when the translated script
name is missing in CLDR data since the label for "ku-arab" is displayed
okay.

More major problem here is that lots of these languages are not - yet -
supported by CLDR. The following link shows a list of languages which are
added to CLDR as supported languages for content submission (locale data,
etc.):

http://st.unicode.org:8080/cldr-apps/survey?_=root&x=Languages

And here are the Persian translations:

http://st.unicode.org:8080/cldr-apps/survey?_=fa&x=Languages

Wikimedia projects support way more languages (specifically minority ones)
and it's desired to add the locale data for these to CLDR, but the process
is not very straightforward for common users of Wikimedia projects. There
were some efforts to assist users of various Wikimedia projects to submit
data to CLDR (see
http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Language_support_team/CLDR-2012).

All in all, I'm interested in a relatively more straightforward solution to
collect some of the locale data from the Wikimedia projects community to be
submitted to CLDR.

Regards,
Shervin
↪ http://about.me/shervinafshar