[Mediawiki-i18n] Why why /** Message documentation (Message documentation)?

Niklas Laxström niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 06:53:13 UTC 2013

On 12 June 2013 07:03, S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Almost every extension's i18n.php file has
>
> /** Message documentation (Message documentation)
>  * @author Some Person
>  */
> $messages['qqq'] = array(
>
> Why repeat it?
>
> Is it because the header for each language section is "/** French
> (français)" , so Qqq is being consistent? But the English header is just /**
> English.

You are on the right track. English language sections are not managed
by translatewiki.net (Translate extension) so they retain the original
formatting.

For all other languages the tools regenerates the sections from
scratch which makes them all use consistent format. I don't see the
little repeating a worth of special casing it.

> Does some undocumented tool in maintenance/language rely on the format of
> these headings?

Not there as far as I know, but Translate extension is picky about the
formatting of the i18n files. But the language names are ignored on
reading, only the language code matters.

  -Niklas