[Mediawiki-i18n] [Commons-l] Enabling the Translate and UniversalLanguageSelector extensions on Commons

Jean-Frédéric jeanfrederic.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:53:00 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'd like to start a discussion about the merits and challenges of
> enabling the Translate and UniversalLanguageSelector extensions on
> Commons.

Thanks Guillaume for starting this discussion.

> The Translate extension (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate ) is super useful
> to translate content; it's already used for translations on Meta,
> mediawiki.org and other non-Wikimedia wikis. In my experience, this
> extension usually increases the amount of translations and
> multilingual content on a given wiki, which Commons would benefit
> from.

For my little experience with the way the extension works on Meta, I see
how it works to translate single pages, or messages assembled in a single
page - this could indeed be very useful for all our multilingual pages
(policy, help, etc.)

Could the extension can, or be tweaked to, help with our other multilingual
content? I can think of:
* templates (whether using Autotranslate/Fallback, LangSwitch, or special
constructs like {{Technique}})
* file descriptions ?
* POTD descriptions ?
* SiteNotice announcements ?

> The UniversalLanguageSelector extension (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector )
> allows users to easily switch the interface language; it also embeds
> an interface to enter text in non-Latin languages even if your
> keyboard doesn't allow it.

Seems very useful indeed.

Just asking: would it play nicely with our AnonymousI18N script?
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:AnonymousI18N.js>

Incidently, Rillke has openend a section on [[COM:VPP]] on this.
<
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:VPP#Elaborate_whether_mw:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector_is_suitable_for_Commons>

There would probably be some adjustments to make to transition from
> the current way we handle multilingual content and interface, but I
> don't perceive them as insurmountable.

Yes. Indeed, I wondered above how the Extension would fit with our black
magic, but we can certainly think of revamping our magic to benefit from
the extensions.

--
Jean-Frédéric
[[User:Jean-Frédéric]]