[Mediawiki-i18n] account creation change, and changes

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 26 19:41:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF)
<smazeland at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Op 22 nov. 2012 om 01:37 heeft S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I thought about removing or replacing welcomecreation but the
>> extensions ApiSignup and SpecialUserSignup (unused by WMF) and
>> ./tests/parser/preprocess/ all refer to it.  Do developers usually
>> introduce a new message then obsolete the old one, or cut over in one
>> commit?
>
> When a message change is incompatible with current translations, you should pick a new key.

What do you mean by "incompatible"?  The way this message is used has
changed, but it's not incompatible at an API level (those extensions
may or may not have to adapt to the new meaning).

My initial change adding "welcomecreation-agora" was approved and is
in wmf5, my revision where I changed the name to "welcomecreation-msg"
is not. It's OK, not ideal.

Thanks for your advice and insight.