[Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] Language codes vs site codes

Denny Vrandečić denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de
Wed May 9 01:36:16 UTC 2012

(Siebrand, I am unsure if this will arrive at mediawiki-i18n, feel free to
forward it you consider it interesting to them).

OK, I've written a few lines of Python [1] which actually helped me answer
my questions. Sorry to bother.

And the answers are yes, yes, no, but close, and i hope so.

There are a small number of wikis which use a different language code than
their site code is, namely:

crh -> crh-latn
als -> gsw
be-x-old -> be-tarask
roa-rup -> rup
simple -> en

But, at the same time, the given *site* codes exist as *language* codes as
well, i.e. the languages/messages files exist for them, but they just
fallback to the given language code (i.e. MessagesAls.php just names gsw as
a fallback).

I would not be surprised if each of these five examples would have an
anecdote to explain why they are the way they are :)

Thanks,
Denny

P.S.: There is one thing I do not understand though. According to
https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo the
language of simple.wp is "en", but MessagesSimple.php seems to be taken
into account (instead of "edit" it has "change" in the UI, one of only two
changes in MessagesSimple to MessagesEn). So it seems that the language is
"simple" -- why does it say "en" in the siteinfo?

[1] available here: <http://pastebin.com/JpApSmNX>