[Mediawiki-i18n] A localisation update and the CLDR

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Tue Apr 17 06:36:31 UTC 2012

Stacey Borsody  wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  I had looked at the beta Survey Tool
> earlier and saw there was no way to add new locales.

That's a separate process. the main survey tool help page discusses it a
bit, as does http://cldr.unicode.org/index/cldr-spec/minimaldata

But, I filed a ticket <http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/4626>  to add
an "add new locales" link.

> CLDR looks like a great tool, but the CLDR process seems like it does
> take a bit of time to learn.  It feels like it somewhat defeats the
> goal of getting in-country scholars and other experts involved,
> especially when we're talking about small languages.  Those experts
> are not necessarily "computer people", which leads once again to
> update and review by non-expert proxy.  That being said, I'll see what
> I can do. Stacey

Stacey, please... talk to us.  File a ticket, join the CLDR discussion
lists.   http://cldr.unicode.org  .. plenty of non-computer people have
been involved in this process. We keep trying to make it easier to
use.   We do NOT expect you to learn the CLDR process before contacting
us.  File a bug, ask a question.    If it's proper to quote it here,
WP:BOLD - be bold. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BOLD

Steven (CLDR/ICU/SurveyTool)