[Mediawiki-i18n] Statistics about the use of wfMsg functions

Seb35 seb35wikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:38:52 UTC 2011


While reading a bug pointed by the i18n triage  
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16026>, Happy-melon says  
"A more general bug (which might well exist, I didn't check thoroughly)  
would be "ALL MediaWiki messages should be either plaintext or accept  

So I had the idea of censusing the wfMsg calls in the MW code and try to  
detect which ones accept wikimarkup or other dialects (it depends of the  
wfMsg function and of the parameters of that function). So I wrote  
yesterday a Python script to census the wfMsg calls in one side and the  
messages in another side. The latter is not very useful in fact but the  
former gives some interesting results.

I’ve done some statistics about the wfMsg calls on  
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WfMsg_statistics>. There are also the raw  
data and the link to the script (output to CSV).

If you find it useful I would be happy, but it was also an exercise for  
extracting and manipulating data.


More information about the Mediawiki-i18n mailing list