[Mediawiki-i18n] Fwd: Re: [Mediawiki-api] is there a way to get the English name of a language?

helix84 helix84 at centrum.sk
Tue Jan 18 16:41:17 UTC 2011

I agree with Niklas in everything:
* it would be silly to duplicate the translation effort
* CLDR would also be a good source
* general fitness of either iso-codes or CLDR should be determined

I'd be especially interested to know the comparison how much language
names actualy each of these has translated. But another important
factor for you might be that the extension is already available in MW.
OTOH, transformations might be more difficult depending on which codes
you have available as a source (which standard you want to use to do
the language_code->language_name transformation), and iso-codes
provides multiple codes to work with.

Regards,
~~helix84