[Mediawiki-i18n] Altering message string output for Javascript

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 12 08:03:03 UTC 2010

On 08/11/2010 06:22 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:
> On 11 August 2010 11:39, Michael Dale<mdale at wikimedia.org>  wrote:
>
>> In general direct substitutions like {{SITENAME}} should move towards
>> normal $1 substitution with a uniform way to package php variables into
>> javascript.
>>
> Why? We can and should just replace those in the server side.

Because we should avoid lots of wikitext in messages, and variable
substitution gives us better cache expire management. {{SITENAME}} is
not such a good example since its pretty static .. but in general its my
understanding that lots of wikitext template calls in interface msgs
should be avoided if possible.

--michael