[Mediawiki-i18n] Altering message string output for Javascript

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 21:51:14 UTC 2010

> it seems that this won't work either since so many of the
> ParserOptions are retrieved from global settings in strange ways.

Strange? They are loaded from either initialiseFromUser() or one of its
setters...

> If you can do a regEx that will work for such substitution that would be
> great, or the server could do some transform that represented the
> transforms in JSON so that the template parsing could be avoided ..

I remember some time ago we discussed in wikitech-l the possibility of
doing a late replace of plural: and {{sitename}} to have the rest of the
message parsed in a cache.

It may be worth to bring back that idea if such light parser is going to
be done in JS too.

For transforming the templates into a JSON tree, the DOM preprocessor
may be easy to transform.