[Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] An update on localisation inMediaWiki

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 3 17:32:29 UTC 2008

Hi Stacey,

great suggestion to have context hints for messages. Niklas thought the same
thing a few days ago and implemented it. Now we need 'people in the know' to
document them. The hints are being displayed when editing messages.

We keep the messages in a language code assigned to 'local' in ISO 639-3,
'qqq'. An overview of currently documented messages, that can be edited by
everyone with the role 'translator' can be found here:
* core messages: http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=Special%3ATranslate
<http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=reviewall&group=
core&language=qqq&limit=100>
&task=reviewall&group=core&language=qqq&limit=100
* extension messages: http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=Special%3ATranslate
<http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=reviewall&group=
ext-0-all&language=qqq&limit=100>
&task=reviewall&group=ext-0-all&language=qqq&limit=100

If you already have editing rights, you can see the hints in action on
<http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=MediaWiki:Ogg-long-audio/de&action=edit>
http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=MediaWiki:Ogg-long-audio/de&action=edit

It is of course a huge task to document everything, but if we all pitch in,
it's only 3600 pieces of documentation ;)

We are still thinking if we should commit the message documentation at some
point... Especially because those developers may edit MessagesQqq.php and
definately not edit in Betawiki.

Cheers! Siebrand

  _____