[Mediawiki-i18n] Extensions translation

Rotem Liss mail at rotemliss.com
Fri May 26 09:47:07 UTC 2006

Petr Kadlec wrote:

>On 25/05/06, Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 25/05/06, Rotem Liss <mail at rotemliss.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Currently, I think there is no easy way to translate the extensions of
>>>MediaWiki into other languages.
>>>

>>In the initialisation function, one could check $wgContLanguageCode
>>and then determine what to add to the message cache via those means.
>>

>Wouldn't that be a wrong behaviour? Users should be able to change
>their UI language independently of the content-language.

I agree. Also, Makesysop and Newuserlog create log entries, but they are
used as the content language when adding the logs to the recent changes,
and as the user-chosen language when displaying the logs in Special:Log.
The check of $wgContLanguageCode breaks the current languages mechanism.

>The real problem is where to place all the translations. If every
>extension would have one file for each language, it would be quite a
>mess...

I think we can place it in the extension file, as each extension has
only a few messages.