[Mediawiki-i18n] loginlanguagelinks implementattion

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 14:24:45 UTC 2006

On 22/06/06, Eugene Zelenko <eugene.zelenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why code for interface language from user preferences was not
> re-used?

Simple. The drop-down box in user preferences is for selecting a new
language as part of multiple possible preferences changes, yes? The
point of the links is to allow the user to choose, then and there,
that they would like to see the user login/registration form, in a
particular language. It's instantaneous. A drop-down would require an
extra submit button (more work, which I might well do later), or some
JavaScript (which won't help everyone, and again, requires more work).

>Why only limited number of languages available?

To allow the site admins to customise the links which show based on
the likeliest links their target demographic is going to need. Putting
200 odd links in that form looks fucking disgusting, to be blunt about
it.

> At least [the] #LANGUAGE magic word could be used for accessing language names.

It could, but I'd recommend against it for performance reasons. I
might add the links to some sort of cache.

Rob Church